NEPAD in Brief
The New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD) is a socio-economic flagship Programme of the African Union (AU). NEPAD’s four primary objectives are to eradicate poverty, promote sustainable growth and development, integrate Africa in the world economy and accelerate the empowerment of women.
NEPAD facilitates and coordinates the development of continent-wide programmes and projects, mobilises resources and engages the global community, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and member states in the implementation of these programmes and projects. The NEPAD Agency replaced the NEPAD Secretariat in 2010 which had coordinated the implementation of NEPAD programmes and projects since 2001.
The strategic direction of the NEPAD Agency is divided into six themes:
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Climate Change and Natural Resource Management
- Regional Integration and Infrastructure
- Human Development
- Economic and Corporate Governance
- Cross-Cutting Issues – Gender, ICT, Capacity Development and Communications