Based on the Host Agreement between the Government of the Republic of South Africa and the African Union for NEPAD to serve as the interim AU Office Operating Outside the African Union Headquarters, the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency invites applicants who are citizens of African Union Member States for the post of Principal Programme Officer, Land Data Scientist.
Under the supervision of the Head of Natural Resource Governance or his / her delegate, the Principal Programme Officer, Land Data Scientist will be responsible for providing expert support for national land data repository development, monitoring and policy analysis in the implementation of the NEPAD project on Strengthening Land Governance in Africa (SLGA).
The Principal Programme Officer, Land Data Scientist will specifically focus on the following main functions:
- Facilitate establishment of virtual national land data repository with spatial gateway in collaboration with the country focal points and help desks as well as the institutions of the Network of Excellence on Land Governance (NELGA).
- Ensure applications for collection of different data are in place and functional.
- Ensure software platform for automated economic analysis of survey data for land policy is up and functional.
- Provide support in the training of help desks in development of virtual data repositories, data maintenance and expansion.
- Ensure compilation of foundational data is done in consultation with the selected countries.
- Monitoring results and applications to inform production and contribute to the production of policy briefs / reports for the land policy dialogues, in partnership with the helpdesks.
- Produce land governance performance monitoring reports, based on data repositories in liaison with the Principal Programme Officer Land Policy and in partnership with the helpdesks.
- Contribute to the development of annual progress reports.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Skills and Competencies:
- Strong planning, analytical, and organisational skills.
- Proven experience in data management and analysis for policy development and implementation.
- Ability to produce evidence based policy briefs and reports.
- Excellent written and oral communications and interpersonal skills.
- Sound analytical skills, creative thinking and problem solving skills.
- High level of integrity and accountability, flexible approaches to work coupled with enthusiasm, commitment and energetic.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure with a wide range of individuals and institutions.
- Good organisation, planning and time management skills.
- High level of accuracy, attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Maintain confidentiality at the highest level at all times.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-national environment.
Qualification and Experience:
Candidates must have a Master’s degree in Geospatial Science, Development studies, Economics, Rural Development, Natural Resources Management or any other related field with statistical analysis or geospatial background, and experience with applied policy analysis. They should have a minimum seven (7) years of post-qualification experience in data analysis and reporting for public policy development or rural development in public sector institutions, multilateral institutions or similar organizations nationally, regionally and / or internationally.
To apply, please submit the following:
- A motivation letter stating reasons for seeking employment with the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency.
- A detailed and updated curriculum vitae (CV), not exceeding five (5) pages and indicating your nationality, age and gender.
- Three (3) referees with good knowledge of the candidate’s work, furnishing full contact details, telephone, fax and e-mail addresses.
- Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
Indicative basic salary of US$45,364.00 per annum plus other entitlements e.g. Post Adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance ($23,846.40 per annum), gratuity (15% of gross salary) in conformity with the rules and procedures applicable to internationally recruited staff of the African Union.
Applications must be received not later than Monday, 23 October 2017 and should be addressed to:
Head of Human Resources
NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency
P O Box 218 Midrand 1685
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Please note, should you not hear from us within six (6) weeks after the closing date, kindly consider your application to be unsuccessful.