Based on the Host Agreement between the Government of the Republic of South Africa and the African Union for NEPAD to serve as the interim AU Office Operating Outside the African Union Headquarters, the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency invites applicants who are citizens of African Union Member States for the post of Principal Programme Officer, Land Policy.
Under the supervision of the Head of Natural Resource Governance or his / her delegate, the Principal Programme Officer, Land Policy will be responsible for providing technical leadership in the implementation of the NEPAD project on Strengthening Land Governance in Africa (SLGA). S/he will be responsible for providing a wide range of administrative and management support while playing a key role in the day to day management of the project. The Principal Programme Officer, Land Policy, will manage the programme and liaise with all partners to gather and disseminate information related to work programs and annual reports. He/she will assist with management of communication activities as well as coordinate the annual key partner meetings related to the SLGA.
The Principal Programme Officer, Land Policy will specifically focus on the following main functions:
Required Skills and Competencies
- Excellent Technical knowledge of Agriculture, Land Management and Natural Resources policies and strategies as well as National Development Plan (NDP) processes;
- Strong knowledge of pertinent land issues in Africa;
- Strong planning, analytical, and organisational skills, with particular emphasis on investment planning;
- Proven experience in program and project management;
- Familiarity with NEPAD’s Environment Action Plan (EAP), Comprehensive African Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) and TerrAfrica initiatives;
- Excellent written and oral communications and interpersonal skills;
- Sound analytical skills, creative thinking and problem solving skills;
- Excellent strategic visioning, planning, implementation, monitoring & evaluation and reporting skills;
- High level of integrity and accountability, flexible approaches to work coupled with enthusiasm, commitment and energetic;
- Ability to leverage limited resources and staff for maximum impact;
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure with a wide range of individuals and institutions;
- Good organisation, planning and time management skills;
- High level of accuracy, attention to detail and thoroughness;
- Maintain confidentiality at the highest level at all times;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-national environment.
Qualification and Experience:
Candidates must have a Master’s degree in Agricultural Sciences, Development Studies, Development Economics, Rural Development, Natural Resources Management or any other related field with a minimum seven (7) years of post-qualification experience in public policy development, project management or rural development in public sector institutions, multilateral institutions or similar organizations nationally, regionally and / or internationally.
To apply, please submit the following:
a. A motivation letter stating reasons for seeking employment with the NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency.
b. A detailed and updated curriculum vitae (CV), not exceeding five (5) pages and indicating your nationality, age and gender.
c. Three (3) referees with good knowledge of the candidate’s work, furnishing full contact details, telephone, fax and e-mail addresses.
d. Certified copies of degrees and diplomas.
Indicative basic salary of US$45,364.00 per annum plus other entitlements e.g. Post Adjustment (57% of basic salary), Housing allowance ($23,846.40 per annum), gratuity (15% of gross salary) in conformity with the rules and procedures applicable to internationally recruited staff of the African Union.
Applications must be received not later than Monday, 23 October 2017 and should be addressed to:
Head of Human Resources
NEPAD Planning and Coordinating Agency
P O Box 218 Midrand 1685
Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note, should you not hear from us within six (6) weeks after the closing date, kindly consider your application to be unsuccessful.