Official Name: Arab Republic of Egypt
Independence Day: 28 February 1922
Currency: Egyptian Pound (EGP)
- Egypt is leading the process of developing an African Common Position (ACP) to the HLM and EU on enhancing country results frameworks. Egypt is also among the countries that received advocacy support, which contributed to strengthening of negotiation capacities of African countries on the Post-2015 Development Agenda through the Common African Position (CAP). Subsequently, Africa’s development priorities were mirrored in the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- A full database on the status of innovation has been developed, focusing on product and process innovations and to some extent the organisational and marketing innovations.
- The country leads the construction of a navigational line between Lake Victoria and the Mediterranean sea. The project integrates river, road and rail transport in the Nile basin and was endorsed by Ministers of Transport, ICT and Energy in September 2013 and is expected to benefit nine countries.
- Egypt is also benefiting from the Trans-Maghreb Highway project, which is designed to improve travel for people and goods across the Maghreb countries. The project includes the implementation of a smart corridor system along the highway with one-stop-border posts.
- The country has joined the Sustainable Energy for All (SE4ALL) Initiative, which aims to achieve universal access to sustainable energy by 2030, and the Paris Climate Agreement, which calls for reducing greenhouse gas emissions to limit climate warming to below 2 degrees Celsius.