Official Name: Republic of Kenya
Independence Day: 12 December 1963
Currency: Kenya shilling (KES)
- Kenya is among the five countries that have developed and implemented pilot programmes under the Africa Extractives Capacity Assessment Framework (ECAF) as part of domesticating the African Mining Vision.
- A total of 7,093 women have benefitted from 11 projects implemented in Kenya by the NEPAD Spanish Fund for the Empowerment of African Women.
- NEPAD Agency and JICA jointly established the “Africa Kaizen Initiative” (AKI) in 2017 and Kenya is among the eight AU Member States that have introduced KAIZEN management so far.
- 85 Million hectares of land on the continent have been committed for restoration through the application of the restoration opportunities assessment methodology. To-date, Kenya has committed 5.1 million hectares.
- A total of USD2.26 million was provided to four partners in Kenya resulting in the development of drought and disease resistant sorghum, finger millet, sweet potato, cassava, and canning bean varieties, including a technology for utilising industrial sisal processing waste for mushroom production and Bio-enhancing maize and vegetable seeds with bio-pesticides.
- Kenya was interconnected with other four other EAC capital cities and the submarine optic fiber cable from Dar es Salaam to Mombasa in 2013 through a regional optic fibre project championed by His Excellency, President Paul Kagame of Rwanda. Kenya is also a member of the Task team for the Smart Africa Initiate which was established after the 2014 Smart Africa summit in Rwanda.
- The country is also working with Uganda to develop a 300 km petroleum pipeline for a lower cost mode of transporting petroleum products.