Official Name: Republic of Malawi
Independence Day: 6 July 1964
Currency: Malawi kwacha (MWK)
- More than 1,500 youth benefited from youth employment opportunities in the agriculture sector in Benin, Cameroon, Malawi and Niger.
- Malawi was among 10 countries where a skills audit and youth employment creation were conducted. This exercise addressed the Rural Futures Programme’s objective of reducing rural poverty and employment challenges.
- Malawi is also among the first four countries that have been supported to strengthen the health sector’s response to Tuberculosis and occupational lung diseases.
- The North-South Corridor Road/Rail Project entails the construction of a multi-modal trans-continental interconnector.
- The Lusaka-Lilongwe ICT Terrestrial Fibre Optic project aims to reduce landed prices of internet capacity and as well provide additional capacity.
- Malawi forms part of the first ten countries that will implement the Initiative for Food and Nutrition Security in Africa a new partnership for nutrition accountability.
- Malawi received USD39.6 million from the Global Agriculture and Food Security Programme (GAFSP) for the promotion of irrigated rice and horticulture production as well as crop diversification and value chain development for selected commodities.