Official Name: Republic of Mozambique
Independence Day: 25 June 1975
Currency: Mozambican Metical (MTN)
- Mozambique forms part of the first ten countries that will implement the Initiative for Food and Nutrition Security in Africa; a new partnership for nutrition accountability.
- Mozambique received USD 2,000,000 to accelerate market-led smallholder development in the Zambezi Valley.
- Mozambique was among the AU Member States that endorsed the Policy Framework & Reform Strategy for Fisheries & Aquaculture in Africa approved at the AU Heads of State and Government Summit in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, 2014.
- The Southern Africa Hub Port and Rail Programme aims at responding to Southern Africa challenge in developing sufficient port capacity to handle future demand from both domestic sources and landlocked countries.
- Facilitated the appointed of engineers and contracting for the 1500 MW Mphanda Mkuwa Hydropower project in Mozambique.
- Mozambique is among the first four countries that have been supported to strengthen the Health Sector’s Response to Tuberculosis and occupational lung diseases.
- Mozambique has benefited from funding of 6.0M EUR secured from the EU to support capacity development, research and innovation in water and sanitation in the Southern and West Africa regions through the NEPAD African Networks of Water Centres of Excellence.
- A specialist Master’s degree programme in critical care and trauma and maternal and child health has been developed, which is being implemented at the University of Witwatersrand, South Africa and hosted by the academic department at the Instituto Superior de Ciencias de Saude (ISCISA) in Maputo.